Department of Philosophy
The academic year 2010-11 had been an eventful year.
The Department took the initiative to screen the Documentary Film, 'THE HOLY WIVES' on 24th Sept 2010. This film portrayed the life and the struggles of the Devadasis in Karnataka, Mathammas in Andhra Pradesh and Bedinis in Madhya Pradesh. The screening was followed by an interactive session with the filmmaker Mr Ritesh Sharma.
A formal event-INTERFACE BETWEEN SCHOLARS AND STUDENTS was organised.
· Topic for the first session was 'THE ETHICS OF CLIMATE CHANGE'
Scholar:Dr.Shashi Motilal(Asssociate Professor, Dept. Of Philosophy.
University of Delhi).
· Topic for the second session was 'ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVISM IN PRESENT DAY INDIA'
Scholar: Mr Ritwick Dutta(Environmental Lawyer, Supreme Court of India)
Later half of the day witnessed the informal events like:
· TREASURE OUT OF TRASH(recyclable art competition)
· IN- FOCUS(photography competition)
· MEETING OF THE MINDS(group discussion)
Students from various colleges participated very enthusiastically along with the home teams.Eidos 2010-2011 was a perfect balance between fun and learning. It went a long way in widening the thinking horizons and the spectrum of knowledge.
Throughout the academic year the students of the Department worked on the Philosophy wall paper with their ideas, thoughts and philosophical opinions on various topics like:
· Empiricism and Rationalism
· Virtue Ethics
· Ideas and Impressions
For the intellectual stimulation of the young minds of the Department of Philosophy,a seminar on the topic, "PHILOSOPHY AND ITS ROLE IN SOCIAL INTEGRATION"was scheduled on the 25th of Feb. 2011. This occasion was graced by the eminent speakers.
· Prof. H.S.Prasad(Head, Department of Philosophy) who addressed the students on "Social Integration Through Ethnicization Of Human Self:A Buddhist Approach" .
· Mr Alok Chopra(Disciple of Swami Parthasarthy) spoke on "Self Development and Social Integration:A Vedantic Perspective".
Speakers for the second session were:
· Mr Gurcahran Das(Author of The Difficulty of Being Good) who expounded his thoughts on "The Difficulty Of Being Good: Philosophy in Contemporary India".
· Prof. Vinit Haksar (University of Edinburg) shared his views on "Religious Toleration".
The Department released the fifth issue of the Department's magazine cum newsletterReflection 2010-2011. The editorial team consisted of Ms Geetesh Nirban as the faculty editor,Vandana Dahiya as the student editor,Harshitsa Guha as the student sub-editor and the illustrators were Sheemoyee Biswas and Ishmeet Kaur.