Faculty Convener : Ms. Monami Sinha
The theatre society of Kamala Nehru College, Lakshya meaning mission has lived the following thought since its inception “Theater is nothing but makes use of everything -- gestures, sounds, words, screams, light, darkness -- rediscovers itself at precisely the point where the mind requires a language to express its manifestations. To break through language in order to touch life is to create or recreate the theater.”
We have consistently yearned and worked towards pushing the boundaries, bringing new concepts / formats to the table and presenting subjects that matter to the society with newer forms of theater and ideas that inspire.
Lakshya has always been supported by the college and appreciated for its work. The team has had notable achievements within the university as well as on the national platform. The annual street play production performed by the team called Udaan Ab Bhi Baaki Hai was a satirical take on ‘women liberation’ and the sociocultural issues around it. It was self-conceptualized and self- directed. For the annual proscenium production, the team took up Mahesh Dattani’s ‘Bravely fought the Queen’ an intense, multilayer family drama and for the first time attempted at self-direction.
The year 2010 started with a new line of thought and creation followed by a lot of challenges. We had a workshop with Dr. Sukeshwar Arora to learn stage techniques and some proscenium logistics. We are working on a self-scripted and self-directed stage play, FRIHET (meaning freedom in Swedish)- an adaptation of Henrick Ibsen’s plays. Also, the street play-JASHN (meaning celebration) ensures to give a new angle to street theatre, as it is not belonging to the traditional problem-solution format.
Following are Lakshya’s achievements
Efforts towards realization of social responsibility
• Performed for JANAM (Jan Natya Manch) as an initiative to spread awareness amongst women of Nandgaon.
• Performed at the Youth Festival on Consumer Awareness
1) HANSRAJ COLLEGE-1ST PRIZE
2) GARGI COLLEGE-1ST PRIZE
3) DAYAL SINGH COLLEGE-1ST PRIZE
4) MAITREYI COLLEGE-3RD PRIZE
5) INDRAPRASTHA COLLEGE-BEST DIRECTION
6) MAHARAJA AGRASEN COLLEGE-2ND POSITION
1) INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND FINANCE-3RD POSITION
2) MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT INSTITURTE-2ND POSITION
3) INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MASS COMMUNICATION-3RD POSITION
4) HT CITY YOUTH NEXUS-1ST RUNNER’S UP
5) INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, DELHI-3RD POSITION
6) INDIAN NSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, KHARAGPUR-2ND POSITION
7) ATELIERS YOUTH FESTIVAL (STREET EVENT)
1) ATELIERS YOUTH THETRE FESTIVAL (PROSENIUM)
2) THE OLD WORLD THEATRE FESTIVAL 2009
3) Delhi ibsen festival 2010
OLD WORLD THEATRE FESTIVAL –lakshya also performed at the old world theatre festival wherein only few of the DU teams get selected
Delhi ibsen college festival 2010- the college theater society was selected as a part of the prestigious event along with other 4 teams of Delhi university amongst 13 stage teams in the university
INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, KHARAGPUR-3RD POSITION
Apart from delivering excellence at competitions and events, Lakshya, for the first time in the history of KNC, organized a theatre festival called ‘Concoction 10’ in February 2010. The festival was three days long and was attended by Delhi University Colleges and theater veterans and enthusiasts alike. The festival had an eclectic mix of events ranging from street theater, stage plays to mime and a treasure hunt culminating into an on the spot skit competition. It was truly a celebration of theater reinforcing the significance of the art form in the society.
With the guidance and assistance of our esteemed principal Dr. Minoti Chatterjee and all the teacher conveners, lakshya has earned its reputation in Delhi University and continues to grow and further establish itself. A theater receives recognition through its initiative, which is indispensable for first-rate performances.
It’s about that one choice and then it’s the passion that takes you forth.
Lakshya the theatre society of Kamala Nehru College has completed 10 years. Lakshya has taken up varied topics and themes for its annual productions and used theatre as an instrument for spreading the message effectively.
The team has had notable achievements within the university as well as on the national platform. The annual street production for the year 2011-2012 was called ‘Dheele Purze’ . Dheele Purze focused on the issue of Psychological Disorders and Mental Health. It emphasized on several disorders, the plight of such a person and society’s blind eye towards the issue. For the annual proscenium production, the team worked on a self-scripted and a self-directed stage play, ‘A little off the highway’ an adaptation of Alfred Hitchcock’s film Psycho. Lakshya performed another street play ‘Udaan Ab Bhi Baaki Hai’ for an initiative by Be On The Street (NGO) at several places in and around Delhi and NCR.
The team had a workshop with Mr. Bhavin Gossain to learn the tricks and nuances of proscenium theatre.
Following are Lakshya’s achievements for the year 2011-2012:
Efforts towards realization of social responsibility-
· Performed for Be On The Street at the UN centre, public places.
· As a part of manthan, the annual street play festival of Shaheed Sukhdev college of business Studies, the team performed at various schools and public places across Delhi and NCR to spread awareness.
i) Street Theatre-
· Lady Sri Ram College- 1st prize
· Mulakat- 2nd prize
· Miranda House-2nd prize
· Bharatiya Vidya Bhawans Usha&Lakshmi Mittal Institute of Management(BULMIM)-2nd prize
· Be On The Street- Best Directed Play
· Ateliers Youth Theatre Festival
ii) National awards-
· Amity University- 2nd prize
Stage play (participation)
· Bhagat singh College-Best Directed Play.
· Ateliers youth theatre festival (proscenium)
This year also Lakshya organized its 3rd theatre festival ‘Concoction’ in January 2012. The three day long festival had a good turn out. It was attended by colleges of Delhi University and theatre veterans and enthusiastics alike. The festival had fun filled events like street plays, stage plays and other informal events such as treasure hunt, phata poster and parody making. This year lakshya even introduced a choreography competition which was well received. The fest also had performances from professional theatre groups in Delhi such as Raas Group.
Faculty Convenor: Sona Mandal
Student Convenor: Umang Sabarwal
Report Compiled by: Mehak Kapur